Get new posts by email:

Tilt Table Test

At this stage in my treatment, my doctor sent out many referrals. I was set to see a cardiologist, neurologist, and otolaryngology (ENT). On September 19, 2022, I was scheduled for a Tilt Table Test. These tests are performed by cardiologists and are used to evaluate unexplained episodes of dizziness, lightheadedness, and/or fainting. The test monitors your heart rate and blood pressure while trying to trigger symptoms - so fun. 


This was my view as I entered the room. A hard, flat table with straps... The only people allowed in the room were myself and the nurse administering the test (bye Skyler!). Of course, I needed an IV, and those who know me well know my fear of IVs. Tattoo needles? Fine. Needles for piercings? Also fine! IVs? HARD PASS. So once the IV was in after 15 minutes of me crying and panicking and putting it off, we could begin the test. The purpose of the IV is to deliver medications and fluids if needed. I was also covered with electrode patches on my chest, arms, and legs. 

The table stood up and my job was to stand completely still and report any symptoms or feelings of nausea. The first portion of the test lasted 45 minutes. Yes, 45 minutes. I stood as straight as I could, strapped to this table, for 45 minutes. At every 5-minute interval, the nurse would ask for my symptoms, take my blood pressure, and check my heart rate. Then we would continue to stand in silence. Oh, and the room was dark, because why not?

So what happens after the 45 minutes are up? I was laid back down and administered a drug called nitroglycerin. After this, the test resumed and I stood up for another 20 minutes. This was the absolute worst. I could feel myself starting to pass out and almost did a few times. I was nauseous and dizzy and felt disgusting. 

Once the test was over, I finally could lay down and close my eyes. The cardiologist looked over my results and came in to give me the news - my test was negative and no diagnosis was given. So what were they looking for? My primary doctor and I had many discussions leading up to my tilt table test and we had a similar thought - I had Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). But with a negative result, we were back to the drawing board. That fall I also completed a stress test, an echocardiogram, and an electrocardiogram. Next step - neurology. 

For more information on POTS - https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/16560-postural-orthostatic-tachycardia-syndrome-pots

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Episode" 1

March 5, 2024

Where Have I Been?