Get new posts by email:

Roll Call


My life has turned into lots of days spent sitting on the couch. It's easy to let the grief, sadness, and depression join me. 
I've created a small goal for myself as we make our way through 2024 - enjoy the little things. Take time to appreciate the things that make me smile and help me get through each day, whether or not my day is filled with dizziness. 

If you know me, you know I love animals, especially mine. Skyler and I have quite the crew and we're very much outnumbered. When we first met in 2018, I was living alone in Lawrence with my two guinea pigs, Sonny and Jasper, and Miley whom I adopted about a month after arriving in town. 

Sonny (2016 - 2021) Jasper (2016 - 2022)
Jasper and Sonny were with me in college and helped me make it through my senior year. 

Miley
Miley is my shadow. She follows me quietly from room to room and waits for me to sit down. She is slow to trust, but once she does she is loyal and loving.

In March of 2019, we met the love of our lives - Chevy

Chevy
Chevy is the most loyal and loving dog I have ever met. He loves his mom and dad, and his sister Miley, but hates the most random things - bottles, boxes, the microwave, and numerous other household items

While living in Lawrence, we also adopted two more guinea pigs, Chewy and Ozzy!

Chewy (2019 - 2023)
Chewy wanted to be an only guinea pig and when he was living by himself after his brothers passed he was so goofy. He always had the most absurd haircuts - his hair would grow so long and cover his eyes. His favorite treats were carrots

Ozzy (2019 - 2021)
Ozzy was the craziest pig of the bunch. He was a climber and a terror to his brothers but we loved him regardless <3

The piggies, Miley, Chevy, Skyler and I moved from Lawrence to Overland Park in the spring of 2020. Quarantine hit and we added some more members to our family - Ash and Blu.

Ash
Ash is quite the goofy girl. She has scared us on multiple occasions with her hunger strikes, but there she is, still thriving!

Blu
This cat has become the cuddliest cat we have. Blu and I cuddle each night in bed and he rarely leaves my lap during the day. He earned himself the nickname Blucifer as a kitten because of how naughty he was...but he has turned into a sweet adult

At the end of 2020, we moved into our house in Olathe, Kansas. When your house comes with a fenced-in yard, that means another dog, right? In December of 2020, Echo joined us!

Echo
Echo is the goofiest girl EVER. Her tail is short and fluffy and always wagging. She is wiggly, and sassy, but so loyal. 

In January 2021, Skyler's mom was looking for a puppy and we of course joined her on the search. We visited the Great Plains Humane Society and looked at three adorable white puppies. One of them decided Skyler was her new dad - Cricket chose us!

Cricket
This girl is our most stubborn. Cricket is chunky, loves ice cubes, and will do anything for a ball.

Ash had grown and it was time to upgrade her enclosure. This left us with an empty enclosure...enter Eggsy.

(? - 2021)
Eggsy wanted nothing more than to be left to bask on his rock. He was sassy and strong and loved his dubia roaches

In the fall, one of my friends texted me a cute picture of some kittens she was taking care of. I couldn't resist and Olive was taken home with us.

Olive
This grubby little farm cat is such a lover! Olive is our bathroom buddy. Every time we shower or are getting ready in the bathroom Olive is there. Is she isn't, all we have to do is call her name and she comes running

By this point, we were DONE. NO MORE. Right?

...November of 2021 I was sitting outside on our front door steps and I heard a noise. I looked over and saw a cat! She was small and when I called her over she came and let me give her some head scratches. It was about to freeze and be bitterly cold for the next week, so I brought her into our house and down to the basement. She was wearing a blue collar with daisies, but there was no tag or microchip. For the next 3 to 4 months, we posted repeatedly in Facebook groups, and on lost pet sites, and tried to get her placed for adoption at every shelter in the city. No luck finding her owner. By that time, Daisy had been living with us for about 5 months...why not make it permanent?

Daisy
Daisy is Skyler's buddy. She wants to be an only animal but didn't choose the right house for that. She is slowly warming up to the cats but is more of a people fan

Now we're done...until we found River. We were NOT looking for dogs, but we came across River's adoption posting on the Great Plains Facebook page and decided to meet her. Skyler and Chevy traveled to meet her - she was in JAIL. River was part of Puppies for Parole and was living in Cameron. After meeting her, he decided she would fit right in. So at the end of May 2022, River became part of the pack. 
River
River has been our most challenging animal. She was surrendered with her brother and sister to Great Plains when their owner passed away unexpectedly. We don't know much about her history, but at one point they all lived in a car. She has lots of trauma that we're learning each day. She was a runner and bolter when she first arrived, and a fence jumper... Each day she is getting better and better and has started settling into life

We went an entire year and a half without adding to the crew...are you proud? But 2023 brought so many life changes and challenges. I had some of the most depressive days of my life. Enter Nami

Nami
This kitten might be naughtier than Blu was when he was a kitten. Nami loves to cuddle under blankets and wrestle with Blu

Yes, we have a lot of pets, but we wouldn't have it any other way. We have the space, the time, and the means to take care of them and give them a good home, so why not? We are really done this time, no really. :) 

Each day I'm home, I'm surrounded by love and joy. As I type this on the couch, Miley is sitting behind me, Nami and Echo are curled up on each side of me, Chevy and Cricket are spooning on the other end of the couch, and River is by my feet. At night Chevy and I spoon, Cricket sleeps behind my head, Blu by my face, and River and Echo by my feet. I love these animals with all my heart and they get me through my toughest days. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Episode" 1

March 5, 2024

Where Have I Been?